Monday, September 22, 2014

New Investigator

We went and visited Bob Huntsman again this week, and we did some service for him. We moved a rotting moose hide for him. Where did he get the moose? It was road kill.
Bob is a very interesting fellow. There are buckets everywhere in his yard that he has filled with water and animal skulls. The water is green. It smells horrible. The best way that I can describe his place is "Death".

We helped take down a buffalo fence for a less active. The entire zone came (over 20 missionaries) and worked for 4 hours. We still didn't get it done. The elders quorum and high priest group went over the  next Saturday, and about half our zone went over and helped out again. The fence was stapled into wooden posts, and wired to steel poles. It was hard work, but I loved it. Except for all of the buffalo pies all over the ground.

I got some letters from my family this week, and it was one of the best moments of the week. Ah man I loved it.

I forgot to include in my last email that the McDonalds dollar menu is not a dollar. Everything is 2 dollars. Also there is no such thing as a 5 dollar foot long Subway sandwich. They are 6 dollars. Food is expensive to be sent up here.

I've been praying to enjoy my mission rather than endure it. Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed my mission, but in the back of my mind I have always missed home. Kind of like Lots wife. I've been looking back. My prayers have been answered! I've really been working hard, and now I love my mission! I'm enjoying every moment!

We've really been trying to find some investigators but have had a hard time. There was a festival in our area called the Fall Festival. We went there when there were about 15 minutes left in the night. We were sitting down and eating dinner (A member signed up for dinner to feed us, and told us to go to the festival for food) when a teenage boy sat down next to us. At the same time, a guy walked up on the other side of us and started talking to us. I turned to the teenage boy and talked with him, while Elder Nichols talked with the other fellow. The other fellow was just talking about his mission, and how good we have got it, how hard his was, blah blah blah. I found out that the boy was not a member. His name is Grayson. I got to know him, and then asked him about church. By this time there were youth in our ward that had sat down with us. Grayson is friends with these youth. I asked what churches he has attended, and what he likes about them. I asked if he had ever gone to our church. His answer was no, but I invited him to come. I told him it was a great church. I turned to the youth and asked them to explain to him what happens in our church, and the bishops daughter said to him in a matter of fact manner, "My church is awesome because I know it's true." Right after she said that, Grayson was not interested anymore. In my mind I was screaming "Noo!!! Why did you have to say that?? Just tell him how fun it is and how you would enjoy it if he came!" Ugh. I turned to Grayson and rolled my eyes. He smiled and knew that I understood what a weird thing it was for her to say that. I put religion aside for the moment, and asked him what he liked to do. The youth started talking about the craziest things around him. They were telling me that I can find Grayson's uncle in the "records" and that I should know because he stopped coming to church. They were saying some things that I didn't want him to hear! I didn't want him to be scared off! Well... interestingly enough, he didn't seem to hear anything they were saying. Elder Nichols and I have come to the conclusion that angels were covering his ears and giving him selective hearing. He gave us his address and we set up an appointment for Sunday at three.
We visited his home yesterday at three, and he was not home. His grandfather was there and invited us in. His grandfather let us know that Grayson had to go somewhere to help a friend out, and he was anxious that he was going to miss the appointment. He didn't have our number and he felt bad that he wouldn't be there. We sat and talked with his grandfather Bob for about a half hour, and Bob told us all about Grayson. Man Grayson is a good kid. His grandfather basically raises him. Grayson was talking to Bob about how he was curious what the Mormons believed, and that he wanted to know. He was thinking about being a "Mormon". Bob told  him that he would back him up all the way, whether he chose to become one or not. Bob is not a member either. I see a lot of good coming soon. We left a Book of Mormon and Bob was really appreciative. I'm super excited to visit Grayson. We have an appointment this Tuesday at 3. Super exciting!!

We ate dinner at a home full of kids, and they have a tradition that all the missionaries have to go through "The Tunnel" before they can eat. Here are some pictures. It was a tight squeeze.
Inline image 2
This is Elder Nichols, He was sitting like this for awhile trying to figure out how to make it out. It was hilarious.

Inline image 3
It wasn't as hard for me :)

Proud of all you reading your scriptures! Keep it up! Get ready for General Conference! It's coming!

love,
Elder Tyler James Garver

No comments:

Post a Comment